Monday, June 28, 2010

Thursday 6/24/2010

Open mat - Peter came in and took advantage of the open mat time. John and I caught up on some house keeping discussions and then Peter and I worked on a few questions he had. We worked on the one armed Tsurikomi Goshi, proper hip, foot  and hand position. We did a few throws but, mostly focused on uchikomis to get him into the right position.He is a hard worked and deserves to be successful. It's not easy to make it when you start as late as he has but, he deserves it, because he is doing the work.

Judo - Small group, the summer travels and laziness is kicking in for some of the students. It's been very hot and we also had a hellacious storm roll through the city. there were some big trees down and problems with mass transit and commuting. This may or may not have affected things. I will hope for may.

In Tachi Waza, I worked on Ouchi Gari. It's a little funny that I used to teach Ouchi Gari at least once every 3 weeks. It doesn't come up as often, but I still think it's one of the most important and effective techniques. I need to get it to the students more often. We covered several variations, the traditional, the circle step and a few other variations. Next some Tokui Waza, then randori.

In matwork we did the half guard pass where you walk them to flat on their backs, kick the leg back to free it and then pass. I explained why I think this is a better pass for tournaments but, not as good for BJJ or for class. Because of the tournament element, it might be true that we should work on this one quite a bit more at the expense of several passes I prefer. Have to noodle on this issue. We did a few sets of Ne Waza and called it a night.

Couple of notes, At the suggestion of Lex, the Friday randori class will experiment with a later start time. woudl love fo0r more people to take advantage of this opportunity. I saw Mainline canceled their Friday class for awhile. I guess the summer blahs are hitting others as well.

I will be out this weekend doing the FLAG recertification and getting certified in the defense against weapons module. Alma is back and will take lead on the Sunday class.

No comments:

Post a Comment