Monday, June 07, 2010

5/30/2010 Sunday - The one visit of Hiroki

Judo - We were on the fence about having class on the holiday weekend, but, when old training partner and a Philadelphia Judo black belt, Hiroki Baba was going to be in town just for the day we rallied the troops and did class.

very solid turnout considering the holiday. 10-12 participants. We did a few minutes of catching up, then did fits and throws for 20 minutes and randori for 45 minutes. I like this format and we will do it more often as it's fun to just focus on throwing some minimal instruction. I worked in to several sets. The most noteworthy was the set I did with Hiroki. he remains an excellent training partner. He has very crisp technique, excellent posture and plays with a very offensive mindset. I had a good set with him and threw some crisp skilled techniques. I think that I have been allowing myself to play down to the level of some of the guys coming up and settling for sloppy defensive Judo. I have to work very hard to get out of this mindset. I think I play better against better, more offensive minded players. I will need to get the guys who are training to get into a more offensive mind set for all of our sakes. We did 4-5, 5 minutes sets, with limited rest and everyone was pleasantly gassed out by the end. I might make the Sunday once a month all training.

For Ne waza we did 4-5 sets. When I rolled with Hiroki, he still did the "Hiroki Baba" mistake, which is a problem keeping the hands too low and too close together when splitting the guard. Hiroki's ne waza was still respectable but had fallena bit behind. He was trying to work on a triangle and tried to on me twice. He needs a bit more work on some of the subtleties of the technique. Here is a link to the mat work instruction that Lex filmed and posted.




Also here is the May 2010 Randori high lights

No comments:

Post a Comment