Friday, June 11, 2010

Thursday 6/10/2010

Open Mat. I did my Kettlebell session. I didn't make it through the whole workout I have designed. Several exercises bothered my hand/wrist injury, but I also just pooped out before the end. it will be good to get someone else into the workout as it's harder to give up on the last couple of exercises. I am glad I got through most of it though. Now have to be consistent.

Peter, Scott and Katie came to the open mat and did a good amount of throwing. It was very productive time for all three of them.

Judo Class - Very good class 18 of us, plus old friend Fred Murty stopped in for the second half of class. we worked again on each hand of the tsurikomi Goshi individually again, with special emphasis on the Lapel/driving hand. We fit and threw with just the lapel and and then threw the soto Makikomi then used both hands for the Tsurikomi Goshi. After that I opened it up for 15 minutes of Tokui Waza. next we did 3 5 minutes rounds of randori. I only did one with Peter. He is improving, but is still alittle stiff. He attacked well though and took good falls. he even tried a drop Seoi Nage, that was pretty good so i took the fall for it.

One new player brought in by Mike P. He is named Juan and is a brown belt around 160 or so. He is quite good and has trained before. His father has a club in San Diego and spent some time coaching at the OTC. It would be excellent to have him join us regularly. he is in the medical program with mike so I am hoping. I thought Isidor did a great job working with Jason, who worked hard on his technique. He will be a good fit in Judo as his stand up continues to improve. I do wish Eric Johnson was around as he would be an excellent training partner for Jason.

Fred taught several things during matwork. He did the illegal Obi Jimi. He did a pin where he wrapped the belt under the body from Utsuri Kesa Gatame trapping the arm. He also did turnover of a flat turtle, using the belt to gain leverage. I will try these next open mat when I can and see how they feel.

Just for fun an old school  ('70s)  picture of Fred I found on line.

No comments:

Post a Comment