Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Monday - 6/14/2010

made it through Kettlebells. Pretty good workout, the room was a little hot and I had a heavy sweat going.

BJJ - JD3 was under the weather so I taught the class. Good group 6 white belts, 6 colored belts plus Mike B, Claudia (dressed out but on the IR) and myself. 15 is a good number including 4-5 girls. I did Oma Plata. for everyone, I did the basic version and then the breakdown to get the submission. I had the 6 white belts continue the basic version while I took the colored belts through the response to Uke pulling up, i.e kipping back over for the sweep, then the back straddle across the head to the Marcello armlock position. Finally took the whole class through the entry where you go under the leg and grab the back of the collar then work the trapped knee free to secure the Oma Plata. We did 4 sets of training, though the last set was a short one. Good class.

Judo - 16-18 people, including 5 girls. The two new girls, Grace and Cecelia were back and did well. They will add a lot to the women's team if we can keep them. They are both young, tough, in shape and fight hard, plus they are coachable and want to get better. Normal warmup with a set of twenty squats holding your partner in a Kata Guruma position as a bonus plus a minute of the Russian plank.

It was hot and everyone was very warm, so I ran 3 man throwing drills across the mat. I made it so last team pays 20 pushups as an incentive. I did the throwing and had Eric and Lex in my group. I hate losing, and we didn't have the fasted group but we avoided last. (Though the team that was last was just one throw behind us, so I called it a draw and no one paid).

We did rhythmic fits next to cool down and work on good technique while fatigued. Then throwing with the same approach... not too fast or hard, but building muscle memory while fatigued. Finished with 3 good sets of randori.

For Ne waza, we did the trap and roll both the traditional approach and the over the shoulder movement. a few sets of Ne waza and called it a night. Joe C was back from Macao and brought me a very nice warm up suit from the Macao Judo federation. I wonder what it would cost to import a bunch for the whole team? Have to remember to ask him. Also began talks with him about making the Friday night randori night his responsibility. I'm feeling really good about how the club has been doing in June, just have to keep up the momentum.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing that I am just now discovering your blog. Great stuff! Monday and Thursday practice had a lot of solid fits and throws. Feels good to be breaking down the techniques for a couple months.

    ReplyDelete