Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Saturday 6/26/2010 No-Gi class at Steve Kardians Club

I was at the Fight Like a Girl re-certification class. I rode up with Sharon and we arrived early enough for class. Steve was doing a No-Gi class. There were a good number of people in the class. between the lower ranks and upper ranks (the class was split pretty evenly) there were around 20 people there.



He did some interesting things on escaping pins and attacking the arm from Kesa Gatame I will document them later. Good stuff, including a few things I hadn't seen  in the past. He plays a very fundamentally sound game with a little bit of a rough old school approach. It was pretty refreshing as it's a little different approach than I have taken recently.  He reminds me of the Steve Maxwell classes from back in the day. Easy to see them as contemporaries who started in a similar place. His team trained hard and seemed to be having a lot of fun. They have clearly outgrown their current space. I am looking forward to seeing the new space they will have the next time i come to his club. I considered training. If they had been training Gi, I would have jumped into the sets. But, there was a long day of the re-certification ahead and I didn't want to be drenched in sweat and tired for the seminar.

The re-certification went very well. I learned some new twists on teaching the F.L.A.G.women's self-defense system. The more I see this the more I am convinced that this is the best sexual assault defense course I have ever seen. i agree with both the technical philosophical approach and am looking forward to teaching it more in the future.

The Sunday Certification on defense against weapons also went well. It took a similar approach in being pretty low-tech and fundamental. emphasizing basic positions and avoidance of dangerous situations. I hope to do a seminar on this in the near future to solidify the teaching process for the techniques in my head.


No comments:

Post a Comment