Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tuesday 6/15/2010

BJJ at the Weston - John was under the weather so i taught the class. I covered the way I catch the wrist lock when someone tries to bench press me from side control. I mentioned that this only works if the other person makes a mistake, but it is a mistake that is often made. I mentioned that i have caught purple belts with it. Mike B, said I caught him with it the first time we rolled. I hadn't remembered that but, good to hear that i was accurate about catching purple with the technique. I wanted to get the students to be aware of it but also, from the bottom avoid making the mistake that allows it. Only spent 10 minutes or so on it, but they all seemed to understand the mechanics and how to avoid making the mistake.

Did my favorite side position sub, the paper cutter strangle. I worked to get them to do the technique without the grinding throat pressure that most people get. It's safer and a more effective technique when done this way. Showed a couple of positional set ups to get to the position to use it. Then we trained. Time was late and the match-ups weren't great s we just did one set. I rolled with Mike, who is a very solid training partner. I pulled and went to a De La Riva position as he likes to standing pass. I don't love that he will stand up to pass before taking a grip, but, I make sure to grab him before he has a chance to run. I went to sweep, and he controlled the leg. I tried to pull him to X-guard, but we ended in a scramble. I put him on the bottom and worked to pass. I fed him a triangle to pass and then went for the sub as i was passing he did a good job avoiding the sub and rolled to turtle then back to guard. I forced the triangle again and attacked it to pass. He was resisting in that position when the set ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment