Friday, November 05, 2010

Wednesday 11/3/2010 Judo at Osagame

I covered the Wednesday class. This class is planned to be covered by the black belts who are interested in teaching on a rotating basis. It will be normally held at 7:30, but dues to some confusion this one was held at 6. I think the newer classes on the schedule and the classes that have been moved on the schedule may take a little getting used to for the students. I am hoping that new students who join will naturally fit them into the class attendance schedule, but this may take some time. I am particularly hopeful that the black belts that will be covering the classes will make every effort to come in and support one another. Having more experienced players in the class will make teaching much simpler and make sure that there are decent numbers of participants.

This class was just Me, Lex and Zweli. Not great to have such a small class, but good for me as I was able to get some training in with them. We did Uchikomis and a little throwing for 20+ minutes. I worked on my left sided Uchi Mata. I have tried and even thrown the Left Uchi Mata  but this was the first time I practicied it, which seems odd.It didn't feel comfortable or natural but, if I get some more reps, I may be willing to actually try to throw it next time. Lex and Z worked on the things that they chose. We tweaked Z's Ouchi Gari entrance. He was doing a nice version of a drip Morote Seoi Nage. He is quite strong and with good lower body strength and flexibility. I wouldn't want to have to do the Morote myself, but it was working well for him.

We did Golden score randori next. I was having pretty good success. I threw some decent scores. Z got me over by attacking a leg when i was little lazy and got me to my back. I threw some decent techniques. a few sacrifices, a Harai, and a few others. I countered the leg grab Z went for again with a belt grip osoto/harai that was good. The grip fighting was going well, untilt he last set. Lex managed to get ahead of me in the grip fight  and protect the lead. I spent closer to a minute trying to get any grip at all, but he was able to deny me. When he attacked I was so far behind the gripping I mis-stepped and twisted my knee. This was unfortunate becasue of the knee problem but also because the training was going so well.

We wrapped it up by talking gripping and strategy for a bit. I talked about how I focus on transitions in BJJ and think that's the right approach for experienced players up to a certain point, rather than endlessly drilling techniques. I compared this to grip fighting in Judo and it seemed to make sense to both of them. I hate to get hurt or end the training early, but the conversation was very on point and useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment