Thursday, November 04, 2010

11/1/2010 Welcome to Osagame

Our new club web site 
BJJ - The opening night at our new club began was a great experience. We had a good group of people in for the first night. The BJJ class had 10 people plus me. This included a few Drexel kids who did well  and came a little late, but also included several of the judo guys who I am excited to see begin to cross train, as well as Eric S's friends Matt who did great and Eric Johnson who seems like he might be ready to jump back in to the game. They will be great to have as new additional highly ranked guys who were new to the BJJ and hopefully Judo programs. I covered the De La Riva arm hook position just because it's one of my favorites and I just wanted to do my favorite positions. I did the sweep and going to the Oma Plata and then doing the breakdown to the sub and then even showed the wrist lock finish. I was very happy to see Lori in the clas, as I think it will be good for her to get some more ground work. She will do well once she sees some more of the techniques.

I had them do 3 longer (6 min) sets. The training was good, though I had to reconfirm the rules. I intend to do the CBJJ rules. no kneelocks, no toe holds for less than brown belts. I'm looking forward to training with matt and Eric J. when I can get into the sets. If we can keep this group as a base and expand with some more additions from judo and a few new guys it will be an excellent group.

For Judo I covered Harai Goshi. I wanted to start the clubs by teaching my favorite technique and the closest thing the club has to a signature technique. 22 people in the class 15 or so of our regulars and a half dozen Drexel and other visitors. Great energy and attitude from all the participants. I was very happy with the way the Visitors were accepted and trained with the regulars. i would love to see more of them all, particularly the Drexel group of Jen, Alex, Keith and John. They were excellent fits with the group on the mat. I learned that it will be difficult to have more than 5, possibly 6 pairs doing randori at any given time. so I switched groups and everyone had good sets. I will have to do more shorter sets in large classes to keep too many people from sitting too long. Lee was there and did some grip fighting which was great to see as his knee is still a mess.

For Ne Waza I did the hardest and easiest clock chokes. Then we had time for two sets of ne waza and we called it a night. Art chose to move down the line to the right of Alma. I didn't feele entirely comfortable with this but I respected his wishes. I will revisit this when there is a smaller group. A bottle of Jack was presented and passed down the line in a true Philadelphia Judo Club tradition.



It feels great to be in our own space. I am incredibly fortunate to have the people with me in the club. The way they have volunteered and contributed their time energy and skills has made this possible. I will all feel incredibly lucky to be part of this group. I remember when I was the last white belt on the other side of the line. It's strange to be the first Black belt on this side. I feel that I have done it the right way. I earned it and while I never was and never will be the best player or even a great player. I got here by outworking everyone else. I never quit and my commitment to the club and Judo never wavered. That being said it would be impossible without the people who come to class and make this club my family.

I will post some pictures when I can do it from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment