Wednesday, June 02, 2010

5/28/2010 Happy Birthday to me... am I done?

Open mat at the Weston - Happy Birthday to me. Another year done and still not anywhere close to being back to as good a competitor as I was before the shoulder surgery. It's about time to make some decisions about my competitive future.

First, am I going to get back in competitive condition or am I going to be a lazy sack? I know which one I want but will I do the work to get there. Time to stop wishing and start doing, or at least stop complaining and own it. Have to fix it or own the fact I am too lazy to fix it.

Second, am I going to keep whining about my should failing me, or do something about it. It's OK for BJJ but for Judo it's kind of a disaster, and if I start off of the feet I'm a shadow of my former self so even that isn't really true. My big advantage of being able to take most BJJ guys down isn't true anymore. Now, considering the size and style of play of most guys in my division, it becomes a battle of sloppy takedown defense, which leads to a 7 minute referee decision. Even if I win those decisions, I don't want that to be my legacy. It's time to do some serious soul-searching and decide if I am willing to do the work it will take to return me to able to compete at High level, in the Masters divisions (Nationals/Pan-Ams level)or do I want to settle for coaching and being a recreational competitor. I don't think being a recreational competitor is enough, but I don't know if I am willing or really have the free time to both coach my team and do the work to regain the technical and physical skills it will take to play at a level that will satisfy me.

The Friday training class is becoming one of my very favorite classes. No teaching, no drilling just training, especially when the Steve's are in class as they certainly raise the quality of the matches. I did 6 7-minutes sets. A solid amount of training. The two sets with the White belt Jack were just moving with him and giving him a pointer every so often. Blue John and Chris were pretty typical, though both are becoming more difficult as they get better and better at playing me in particular. The Steve B set was good. He pulled half guard, I engaged and worked for awhile then passed. I maintained side position and went knee in the belly. he did the escape going under my leg and I came off and trapped his arm again. I then had a 2-1 arm advantage and caught an ude Garame. We restarted but didn't have too much time to get into the set. The Steve K set was even better. He pulled half guard and outgripped me making it difficult to pass but I avoided the sweep with hip position and balance. I flattened him in the half guard and nearly passed twice. He regained a better half guard and th set ended. Not too much action but a tight technical set.

No comments:

Post a Comment