Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Monday 6/7/10

I was away from class due to holidays and travel until my return to BJJ today. I again skipped Kettlebells. I am going to try to do it on my own on Thursday, but, hand is a continuing problem. I clearly broke it. It's healing but still painful to put a lot of stress or pressure on it. The Bells class looked quite good with 10 participants.

BJJ - I am going to try to take advantage of opportunities to push myself, so i did the warm-ups which I normally skip. Every bit of extra sweating needs to be seized.
Good group of people, 12 or so, including 2 new(er) girls. John focused on back attacks, working for strangles. He kept it pretty basic through several positions, finishing with an entry into the bow and arrow choke.

I did 4 sets. I had the blue belt Evan, who has joined us and been a regular. Decent training. He plays hard and likes to headhunt, but, I swept and then worked through positions, knee in the belly, mount, and side control. He was pretty fatigued by the end, but kept fighting from the bottom to escape.
Set with Jason, who is playing well and putting a lot of pressure when he is working to pass. After some back and forth he forced me to bail and turtle. He attacked the turtle for a bit before, I was able to get him overbalanced and come to the top. I ended in his half guard and made some progress towards passing but, finished there without having passed.
Next I had Lex, I pulled and he attempted to pass, I pulled underneath to X guard. I got him over with the number 4 sweep, but didn't make it to knee in the belly settling for side control. He worked for an under hook as a way to either escape or block me from advancing. I walked around the head and unwound it then stepped across to the mount, this trapped his arm between us and I got the choke because he only had one hand to defend. Mentioned to him to be wary of holding on to something that isn't helping him, but puts him in a bad position. He pulled to start next and worked for a butterfly sweep. Pretty good attempt but, I was able to ride it and pass then the set ended.
I rolled with David who is back from school. Has a lot of potential but feels rusty and a little out of mat shape. Good to see him back though.


Judo was excellent with 18 people on the mat, including 8 girls. One was a small but very athletic green belt named Grace who trained with us for a short time some time ago, and another new girl Cecelia, an orange belt who has moved to town. She has solid stand up and isn't afraid to play hard. Both will be great to see around and continue to build our women's program. The training for Ariana, Katie, Lori, Chris and Sarah, will be excellent.

Some of the other seldom seen faces include Roman, who is becoming regular, Alexander, another Ukranian player with us for the summer and Jason who stayed from the BJJ class for the stand up part of class and a first timer, Nat, who is rather small but young athletic and has a strong wrestling background.

We did quite a bit of work on focusing one each hand of the tsurikomi goshi hip throw individually. First the Lapel side was emphasized with fits and the throwing. Then the sleeve side was emphasized with soto Makikomi. The we put all of them together and threw the traditional tsurikomi goshi. I kept everyone focused on using it as a learning tool to improve the simpler hip throws, Uchi Mata, Tai Otoshi, Seio Nage, etc. This always helped me improve my Harai and I think it is a strong teaching tool to improve the fundamentals of the forward technique.

Three sets of randori went well. I didn't have good match ups for Jason as the class skewed rather small. But he played OK, with Roman and Lex who are tough. It would be helpful to get a few heavyweights back or get the ones I have healthy.

Mat work we began doing some of the drills coming from under the turtle and then going for power half nelson to drive them over to the Kami Shio Gatame. It took a few times through the drill to get it to an acceptable level. It was a natural for the wrestlers, but the ones without wrestling experience struggled with it. We did several sets of Ne Waza and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment