Thursday, July 01, 2010

Monday 6/28/2010

Kettlebells - Johns class- Good workout - He did a couple of things that aren't my favorite, i.e. alternating Turkish getups and some two bell exercises, but he strung them together in a very challenging wrap up that made up for it.

BJJ - surprisingly big group - 5 people I had never seen in a gi before were in the class and several have already joined so that's good. With the regulars there were 14 people or so. John took some of the new guys word on the prior experience and stuck with his plan to do some X-Guard work.  Many of them struggled with it and really could have used some more fundamentals. It threw the dynamic of the class off with such disparate learning curves. He showed the pulling entrance I use the butterfly entrance, then showed #1, #7 and # 2.
3 sets of training - Not really good matches for me, so I will save it for Judo.

Judo - Good class, not huge but big enough and they worked hard. Greg returned on a limited basis. I added the partner squats to the warmups, I am in the minority but I like this drill and will continue it. We covered the belt grip Osoto Gari, Ouchi Gari and Harai Goshi. I held the Hikikomi Gaeshi/belt grip Sumi Gaeshi in reserve, as I want to focus on throwing and landing on people rather than sacrifices.
2 sets of randori - I took Lex and Josh. Lex is a good randori partner for me as he grip fights effectively, and plays to throw not to not be thrown. Josh is trying way too many tani otoshis, so amny and so poorly that I would have scored on him repeatedly with his own attack. He only tried one really aggressive forward attack (left sided Uchi Mata) and rocked me. He needs to get more aggressive and offensive and take the fight to the other guy instead of looking to counter.

I spent the entire Ne Waza time on the bridge escape from Kesa gatame. We had to work to correct the bridge repeatedly. I broke it down and then finally had them doing it without an Uke to focus on the bridge. It improved but there is still work to do. I intended to get to the Ancona roll but the escape had to be done correctly before I was willing to move forward. 3 rounds of Ne Waza and we called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment