Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sunday - 7/18/2010

Smallish group me and 6 others 3 men, 3 women, no other black belts. We worked on the matwork drills I am doing to replace the warmups. It was a little hit or miss. It was taking too long  and there was more instruction than I want there to be. I still want the warmups to be < 15 minutes. I think I have finalized my lineup for drills
1. Oma Plata
2. Arm Lock
3. Knee - sit out drill
4. Trap and roll (which I added for the first time this class)
Then 3 sets of forward rolls with a set of elbow escapes, a set of butt scoots and a set of arm drags. This should be very doable in 15 minutes, but we are at least 10 minutes from there.

So this was a little frustrating to everyone. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have gone to a drill or technique with a high percentage of success and competency to get them back on the positive roll. I did several foot sweep drills and some for them again struggled with the timing. My thoughts were that this was a fairly small sized group so it was a good time to work on some smaller person techniques. It went OK, but, not as well as I have felt about classes lately. But, as i have read recently one of an instructors jobs is to challenge the students to by getting them out of their comfort zone. This was clearly out of their comfort zone. We did De Ashi Harai, Kosoto Gari and Harai Tsurikomi Ashi. Then. for randori, each person worked with each of the others so there were 5 - 3 minutes sets. This they did well. Everyone fought hard where appropriate and slowed down where appropriate.

For Ne Waza, we ran the same sets, but after 2 Lori was a little banged up so i took her spot and did sets with Lex, Scott and Nick.They all did well and fought hard and tried some good technical Judo instead of just flailing around.  i continue to be impressed with the willingness Lex is showing to take a chance on losing by putting himself in a bad position to start. This is and will continue to pay-off for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment