Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Monday - 7/12/2010

Made it to Kettlebells - I like doing classes some of the time, but, I also get annoyed as it isn't always what i think I need. I like te focus on the power/lifting work and the cardio work. i don't like the protracted warm up and I don't like the joint mobility.  It's the right thing for this class, as it isn't geared for me, but, for the 9 paying housewives in the class. I might design my own Monday workout as I've designed my Thursday workout and do that. Not sure yet.

BJJ was almost shocking. 21 people in class, more than half of them are the new white belts that have been joining. The retention rate among students that try out classes is so much higher now, it's incredible. I may have been wrong in my earlier assessment. Perhaps both clubs can comfortably survive. That's as it should be, of course, but, I am always concerned about the competition for BJJ students in Philadelphia, which is fierce.

John did some stand up work. He covered the O Goshi hip throw, Osoto Gari, and Seoi Nage both from the self defense perspective for the newer people, and with a more competitive focus for the veterans. Most of them still needs lots of repetitions before I would call them competent takedown players, but, it's a start.

My neck was bothering me so I held myself out of the groundwork sets.

Judo - continued the matwork drills for warmups. They were better but still very hit or miss in execution.
We did Tsurikomi Goshi to Harai goshi to the Tani Otoshi switch for Tachi Waza. I think this is a good addition with everyone having success with the forward Harai Goshi/Uchi Mata.

We did 2-4 sets of randori. I took Eric. With Lee on the IR, Eric and Lex are my preferred training partners, and since I make the sets, I get to have them. Eric had a couple of good attacks that rocked me, but I was able to hip cut and block him. I hit a Soto Makikomi and a good Ouchi Gari, when he reacted away from the forward throw. Lex is forcing me to grip fight as if he dominates the grip he will be able to attack easily and I won't even be in good places to defend much less counter. I managed to get a soto makikomi, I think I hit a belt grop Osoto Gari, but I'm not certain. and a Yoko Tome Nage.

I went through the armdrag including the stand up and pull version so when they are working the armdrag drill as a warm up they can get the most from it. 2 sets of Ne Waza and we called it a night.

Great to see Lee in class, just have to hope his knee continues to improve. He is an excellent training partner, assistant instructor, and one of the guys that makes the club work. Losing him for a knee reconstruction would be a real blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment