Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Sunday 3/7/2010

I missed the team training, too much baby duty to make it in time. Too bad, as there was a very good turnout including several purple belts with whom I don't normally get to train.

Judo was solid with 10 or so of us. I worked on Ashi Waza drills and then for Randori I did golden score king of the hill. Happy to have a very competitive 4 girl group. Alma, christine, Paula and Sarah. Not many clubs could bring 3 good black belts and a good brown belt to their womens group.

I worked in the men's side. I got through most of the group but then Joe and I did 90 scoreless seconds so we went to the back. I came in on Lex and he did a good job getting me to chase him and he hit a good Kouchi Gari. i won a few more but as time was going to expire I chased Joe too hard and he threw me with a drop seoi nage. Fun stuff good group for it I will do more of this.

We did the flip from the open guard. I brough the baby in demonstrate how you should be able to control the roll all fo the way to the bottom and you should go over the top to take the mount. Fun her first class participation. I did the helicopter armlock too. The idea was that this is a difficult technique that flows from the flip and makes the flip seem easy and gives you confidence. they actually did pretty well with it. It was also helping some of them do a better job capturing the hear for the armlock from the side a bit earlier. Later I told Beth, it's a tough technicque but the focus was getting them to have confidence and try the flip more than the helicopter. i compared it toteching them a calculus problem and then the the algebra II problem trey just tried seems easy by comparison. we'll see if anyone actually uses it.

I experimented playing matwork sets to a resolution. Each 4 person set did round robing and when someone caught an armlock, choke or pin, the set was over. I like how competitive this makes things. It also gives everyone incentive to work on winning. the girl's group had three 2-1 with Chris winning as the lightest (tiebreaker) she also hit a wicked armlock on paula and actually popper her arm a little, but they all played well. Sarah will do better and better in this group as i refine a few of her techniques.

Lex won the men's group with a 3-0 record. His pins looked good.

No comments:

Post a Comment