Thursday, March 04, 2010

Thursday 3/4/2010

Day class at the Westin - Craig has become one of the usual suspects here. I saw a blue belt in the locker room I hadn't seen in quite awhile (he is also a brown belt in Judo) he has begun working out here and I am going to ride him about getting into class. It will be good to see a new face. Classes are consistent here but not as large as I'd like. John worked again on the De La Riva position. He ddd a leg hook to what he did earlier in the week. Against a one knee up opponent, he hooked with the inside knee (without gripping) and stepped back like he was standing in base to pull the knee out from under them. Then hip into them, free the leg and pass. Nice variation. I think I don't use these variations that much, primarily because I'm lazy and the ones I use work well for me, but, from a technical perspective, I am not far enough to the outside of the advancing knee of Uke. This can be big, as when i fail to sweep and Uke puts pressue on me, I could solve it by rotating further to the outside.
3 sets of training. The blue belt John (hereinafter, blue John)was first. He was still staying on outside and trying to find away past my open guard, I got grips, and sucked him in and hit the two footed tomoe nage flip sweep. Fun technique and always feels good because no one wants to take the ride. Passed him and worked him, but didn't catch him.
Chris was a good set - swept and mounted then caught him once. Next time I swept but he nearly went under neath for a half guard pass successfully, but I managed to shift out of it. Set ended there working to pass the half.
John and I did a short set. He plays me pretty well, better now than he used to, in fact. I managed to hit the hald butterfly hook sweep, but he swept back as I was passing the half guard. Good technique ad I am prety stable on top half guard. He has been working hard to get a strong grip on a sleeve and working to cross it, have to watch more closely for this and not take it lightly. After he swept, I worked from underneath. and nearly swept he scrambled out of it and seemed to pasue for a second in the scramble, I didn't and bulled him down. Passed the half guard from the escrima and we finished the set there.

No comments:

Post a Comment