Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Monday 3/22/2010

Monday- Kettlebells good but, I needed to up the weight a bit. alma and John noted a form break I was having on my 2 hand swings whihc my have caused or exacerbated my recent spate of back issues. Have to wath it.

BJJ - Fredson taught class again. It was again a really excellent class and reminded me of how good BJJ classes can be. The classes with John have been useful and enjoyable but I haven't had classes this good since Urso was here. He assured us he will be back soon. This is a great sign. it's good to start feeling like we are getting back into the BJJ community. For years we were isolated from the east coast community and the local scene, which was a waste considering all fo the great schools and players, not to mention good friends int he area that we weren't seeing. But, for awhile were also weren't seeing any of the Brazilians come through. This really leads to stale, monotonous BJJ. Now it seems we  may be getting the best of both worlds. Back training and sharing knowledge with the east coast community and also seeing some of the Brazilians coming through town. Fredson is excellent, and he indicated that some of Saulo's other black belts and instructors will be back in philadelphia soon.

To the class - Had a great class and saw 2 things I have never seen before. One was a variation of a half guard attack and the other was a whole new approach for me to attack the half guard that leads to a lot of different opportunities. will record them and practice them. I am actually excited to do some reps ont he positions. Trained with Dave O. forced my way to one of the half guard passes from Friday and was able to make it work, despite how tightly he was clinging to the position. Once I passed i tapped with a choke from side control. Rolled with Fredson next. I pulld to X guard. Funny as I used the same entry he taught me 7-8 years ago. I think I surprised him that I went for it. I got there, and worked some sweep attempts. He defended very well and managed to beat one of my hooks I bailed to a turtle as he was passing . He worked my side and back. i prevented hooks and we stalemated for a bit. He had an under the arm cross the back grip. i went trap and roll, he floated around it and sunk the grip in very deep. He was under the arm, so despite the tightness and pressure i didn't think he could catch me there... then I woke up. We started again and he pulled, i was working my pass and getting into it when he swept, i bailed as he came up and he came to my back. The set ended before he got his hooks. Very enjoyable training. would love to be able to train like that every day.

Judo had 18 people. Class started with several promotions. Scott Sorrentino was Uke for the first three sets of the Nage No Kata to complete his requirements for Sankyu. He and James did a superb job. Very few Green belts could do nage No Kata like that. Peter McNeil wa promoted to Green belt/Yonkyu. Very proud of Peter. Starting Judo at +40 and fighting in class and tournaments as he has done isn't easy. It's a privilege to be able to coach guys like these two. Truthfully we have a wonderful bunch right now. there aren't any olympians, but I would take this group over most every day. Good attitudes, hard workers, and genuinely nice people. The club is very fortunate to have all fo them right now.

We do Tokui Waza for 40 minutes or so, then did Randori. 4 good sets across the board 3-5 mins and 1 3 min set. Christine has lloked very good since she recommitted to her randori. paula did well but, turned and ankle over. Chris S, showed some good techniques. He always fights hard, but sometimes gets by on intensity and effort. His techniques looked good. 12 of the people here tonight indicate they plan on competing at Liberty Bell. There are others who say the same but weren't in class. Would be great to bring 15+ competitors. I think we will.

Ne Waza - Did sets of turtle turns. made a few tweaks here and there to improve some things.

We did more Ne Waza to resolution and used the lightest wins tie breaker to avoid draws.

No comments:

Post a Comment