Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Monday 3/8/2010.

Kettlebells - a couple of minutes late but a good class anyway. Not as tough as last week, but still good.

BJJ tired so I didn't work in much. decent numbers with 10+ people including several new white belts one of which is a promising woman. John worked on Ude Gatame from the butterfly guard and then from closed guard. They did better with the second one. We debated was it because the closed guard version is easier to learn or did the work on the butterfly version help them with the closed guard. Kind of a chicken and the egg arguement but next time I teach it I will switch the order and see how they do.

I only did one set with Dave Oh. He will be OK on top at Pan Ams, but his guard game still needs work. He clings tightly with the half guard but still needs to improve his offense there. He really needs to win the takedown fight.

Judo 17 people. (2 bjj people - Frank and Dave)I am getting spoiled with the 20+ people per class lately but his was a good group. We did speed throwing with a 20 pushup incentive not to finish last. Lex is a brilliant thrower but usually loses this as he tends to be a little deliberate between his throws and get ups. he is in such good shape he doesn't feel any urgency to win speed contest.

We did ashi waza tokui waza for 15 minutes, with 4 fits and a throw bakc and forth.

Then I worked on the Sumi Gaeshi from the belt grip. Good for everyone to see this but I especially wanted to tweak how Lex is doing it after he was ipponed at the Spatak tournement from this technique the past weekend. This went well and I saw some solid improvement.

4 randori sets. Lots of good randori all across the board. Isidor is going to be a huge addition if he sticks it out, good for everyone that works with him. Sarah has also been a godsend. Exactly waht i needed as a solid ccompetive woman as a bridge between the ones coming up and the black belts.

We did Kesa Gatame escapes. Then we did Ne Waza. I did 4 groups of 4 fighting to a resolution. They liked it, but the only concern was the down time for people who win their matches early and have to wait around for the full 5 minutes to expire. I might try 4 minutes next time Will also suggested 5 man groups with a floater coming in to replace the loser, as losses are suffered. I will noodle on this as i like the idea, but have to find the format I like the best.

1 comment:

  1. I noticed I also felt more comfortable with the closed guard version of the Ude Garame. I thought about it during class and had two theories. 1) When I first learned it I learned it from closed guard. Doing it from the butterfly came later. 2) When I do it from closed guard I shift my body further off to the side and higher on the uke's shoulder/upper body.

    ReplyDelete