Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Monday 3/1/2010

Kettlebells - Best workout I have had with Alma. This was really the first one I couldn't have made myself do. Cardio intensive with a solid strength component.I noticed she changed the Turkish Getups from switching to one side and then the other. i think this is more efficient and prefer it.

BJJ - Good class. 2 new guys were in plus the usual suspects minus Max and Dave. John did some of the de La riva guard position. Emphasized getting to the side. He used the inside leg as a hook to stand up to the single leg. This is a good technicque that I don't use (much). He then stayed down and sucked the legs in for a double. I had 4 sets of training, Lex, who is doing a good job staying focused on working the armdrag series. I encouraged him to watch for the sweep when he has the arm trapped and then roll and mount them. it made sense to him as soon as he saw it.Decent set with Frank who is training well right now, though he did end up on the wrong end of an elbow to the belly and was impressed by how painful it was. I guess this is a good thing, but even if it's not good, it's funny. Eric and I had an excellent set. I pulled and we worked. I ended up in half guard and was working the sweep as he was working the pass, I went for the sweep and thought I had it, but i think he glanced off of the wall. He stabilized and worked a good pass, I was able to bail but it was after he would have had points. when i turtled he went for the Juji turnover and I cam to the top, managed to pass his legs and catch him with a choke from the side. I needed the finish or to score as he was up a vantage by the score in my head. Took Maggie next and had some fun throwing her around a bit and catching her.

Judo - Biggest class in a long time. 22 or 23 people - I did the one step ashi waza attack drill then some Forward Tokui waza. Then Randori. The back room had some new people working so I had to break up the break up the randori into light and heavy groups. Very solid training across the board, lots of good sets. The March Highlight film will be long if this is any indication. Greg looked good, almost too good. he might have to pull it back just a touch or he will retire some people. If he had a vicious streak like Mark K or John Z or Rich C had he would be too dangerous to have in the club. Wish we could get Gene back, they would be a fun match.

I am going to cover some basics in ne waza. I did the basic hip bump up sweep, then did the basic shrimp away and do Oma Plata.3 sets of Ne waza and we called it a (very sucessful) night. Several new prospects were in including a blind women Laura, who did well. Alma did a fantastic job teaching her the Ukemi basics. Mike was back and did well. I will mix him into the regular class next time he is in. We also had a Balance blue belt named John who came late due to the time change. He seems very interested and seems to have a decent chance of coming back around. Good to see some new faces.

252 - back to moving in the correct direction.

Here is the link to the February randori High Lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment