Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Monday 3/16/2010

I made it late so no Kettlebells.
BJJ - decent class with 11 people in it including 5 white belts who are all relatively new. John did some half guard passing work. He did the tripod version of the escrima pass and the head control pass. We do some elements of these techniques differently, but, the class in general got it, though they struggled with some of the leg positioning and when and how to either cross the knee or pull the foot.

My game felt off. Not sure if it was because I didn't do much but assist during the class, so I was cold, if I was still feeling a bit beat up from a few hard Judo classes, but, I think part of it was i was feeling a bit lethargic from not dieting better. I need to diet better as it will make me play better and looser.

I did 4 sets.

Dave O. I let him get some movement as he attempted to pass trusting to always be able to recover but I was a little slow and he made it to Half guard. i worked but it took me quite a while to sweep back to the top. I passed the haldguard abut Dave defended the next positions well and the set ended.

had Shannon next - He has been playing well, His base is so good he is difficult to sweep and he passes well. I had to bail to a turtle and he went for the wrestling arm lever and was the first person since John zilcoski to get me over with it. I managed to get back to my turtle eventually and finally got him to the bottom in his half guard. I nearly passed but he regained the half guard and time expired. Have to really watch that arm lever as he does it very well. Found out he was an assistant wrestling coach at Princeton, so I can really feel the wrestling skills coming through.

Worked with one of the new white belts who had played a little hard with his wife. I squished him some to be funny, but, he fought hard and stayed active the whole. he has more upside than i realized.

Then had a nice set with Frank. Tried to play pretty light, he managed to step off my hook in the X guard. I managed to reverse him anyway. rolled the rest of the set, he went spider but I slipped it and went knee in the belly. good set.

Judo - 18 people. We did some Uchi Mata and then some Tokui Waza. 3-4 randori sets Lee was in though his knee is a mess.

We did some grip breaks from the cross juji gatame position. I did the basic attack the grip with power then did the reversed elbows, then worked on coming up to the Uki Gatame.
We did Ne waza sets and then called it a night. Decent class, albeit not outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment