Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Monday 9/30/2010

Kettlebells - OK workout, but, I was told it was a 2 bell work out so I took two 16 kgs.  but we only really lifted one bell and used the other for stabilization for most of the exercises. it would have been better to push myself and take a 20kg.
BJJ - Big group of >15. Good mix of ranks. John did switching to Juji Gatame on the other side when you are in side control. With all of the new faces this was a very good technique choice, as it worked on some fundamentals and improved both movement and technique. He did the basic Kimura from side control when you walk and straddle the head. Also a good choice as many of them hadn't seen the position. sometimes its good to remember to cover all of the basics. New girl who looks to have a lot of physical potential if she continues.
John had some very cool techniques to work on for us that he saw at a semi-private he sis during the weekend, with De La Riva. Nice stuff that works for me once I get some reps on it.

Had a lot of fun training tonight. I took the blue belt Evan who plays bigger than he is. Nice warm up set. I swept from the butterfly hook position, passed and mounted he worked hard to escape. i maintained control and pressured him but didn't force the issue. He managed to escape but i passed and mounted again. he said he nearly tapped to the pressure from the mount but couldn't accept tapping to being mounted.
I rolled with Eric S next. I went for the butterfly sweep and managed to force him over when i used the second leg to tomoe nage him over when he was defending. Good to hit a good technique against him as it makes it feel good to hit a clean technique against a good player. I worked from the half guard to pass, but never quite succeeded. Good set with a lot of hard work and technical exchanges.
Dave O was next. He doesn't defend the butterfly hook sweep well so went over for it. I passed and mounted and then accepted the bump he did a good job of avoiding the sweep. I almost manged to come up but not quite. He went for the gi trap over my arm and passing it under me which i hate as it stresses my oft injured shoulder so there was no way i was giving that up. The set ended as I was keeping that away. Last set was with a white belt. He backed away and didn't try to pass for awhile. Eventually I gi dragged him and took the top I passed him as time expired on a short set.

Judo - >15 people including a new white belt checking out the club. There are a lot of tournaments on the horizon, so I did what I focused on what I consider competition techniques. We worked heavily on drop seoi nage, with a particular emphasis on getting far enough with the turn to complete the technique. The idea has to be to go past a line directly forward of ukes hips with your turn. Anything more shallow makes the technique problematic. If you don't at least come close I would say the technique is actually impossible. We did the kouchi gari to adjust their feet and stance which I think is an important element when combined with the drop. Joe C. also showed a grip cut he uses to get past the lapel hand in the right on left position. We did three sets of randori. I thought as a whore the group was playing well. We aren't peaking for this season like we did for the Liberty Bell, but, maybe we can have a lot of people ready in a month for the October tournaments. I intended to enter the randori, but was blocked by even numbers and good existing sets.  I will probably hav to force the issue to get some more work for myself.

Ne waza we talked about passing the guard when being attacked by the triangle. I am a big believer in this and always aggressively attack triangles. The countless times I tapped to excellent triangles has given me confidence in my defense good success passing the position. I emphasize maintaining posture and space to avoid having the technique lock tightly.
I was in the last two sets of Ne Waza.. I had Eric S again as the set from the first class was enough fun that I wanted to do it again. He was also clearly the best Ne Waza player in the room and I wanted to roll hard. His neck was tight so I pulled. We exchanged grips and movements. I was able to break his balance backwards from a sweep attempt. it failed but I was able to scramble and come up and dump him backwards. I passed and used the back collar pin I often show. It worked well. He had a hard time making space or coming up despite me being in a seemingly poor position to maintain the hold down. Wen i switched to come up I made it to mount. I think kept this position for the rest of the set, but he was getting to a good position to escape as time expired. for the last set i let senior people choose their opponents.  Eric called for round threee which was great for me as I was having fun. I pulled and shot for the X guard off of the initial exchange. I got to the position and forced my way to the full X guard. I tried for the fourth technique but he defended well. When his weight settle back i did the #2 technique and swept him backwards with the ankle trip. I came up and attacked the scramble and passed. I worked to the mount and held it for awhile. Funny to be in Judo and be able to just worry about maintaining the pin rather than advancing the position right away. When he made space and tried to turn, I used the mount I learned with Stephanie, maintaining the closed feet and letting him turn away, just not far enough to actually escape. He recognized the problem and centered back up and was working an escape that was putting him in a much better position when time expired.

Lot of fun tonight. Class went well, the students learned and improved. I had fun with the Ne Waza thought I woudl have liked to have had some of the randori sets. A new student was in... all in all a very good night.

Note to self -  I need to update this as close to the actual class as possible as I get a lot more details and get more out of it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment