Monday, August 23, 2010

8/18/2010

Open mat first. We did some BJJ rules and scoring for those fighting the in house this weekend. Explained the basics of scoring and a little strategy. Mostly for Sarah and Greg. peter had a few questions that we fielded.

Judo 12-15 or so in class. We did some Ouchi Gari I covered a traditional approach and then the drop knee version. Overall it was pretty successful in getting them through the basics as I want it done.

Several sets of randori. I did one with Eric. The left side game I have been playing has been surprisingly perplexing to everyone and I have had more success attacking from it than i actually expected. I didn't throw too much but I hit a big backwards counter. I actually got in for the left sided Uchi mata. Will keep playing with this game while I try to recreate my footwork for harai goshi.

We did the guard jump to Kosoto Gake. Not really Judo Ne Waza but still fun and good to see every so often. We then did the two footed flip for when Uke stands up and you fall off of the closed guard. After a few sets of Ne Waza we called the class.

We did a black belt meeting to talk about some club issues. The first was seeing who was interested in getting coaches certifications and who was interested doing ride alongs to work on teaching classes. Most were interested, so after the coaches cert is done we will start to do some coaching training.

Some suggestions that emerged and my thoughts
- More fundamentals for the white belts in Ne Waza but also in Tachi Waza. The suggestion was to do a fundamental technique with everyone then take the more experienced people to do something else while some continue working on it. I like this but for some techniques I would take some of the green and brown belts to do more while leaving some of the black belts to continue the basic repetitions. I'm not sure how this would fly with the black belts. The Tachi Waza is more doable as I will let more experienced people switch to Tokui Waza sooner.
- Clean the mats more often - I think this was overblown as the mats have rarely been cleaner. I haven't seen ring worm or any of the various funks on anyone since the last split last December, so I'm not too worried about this.
- People not leaving class early- This is another one that doesn't bother me. I don't like people coming late if it's avoidable and I prefer people staying for the whole class, but, if you have to go, I'd rather have you for as much class as possible.
- Kids Program - To be revisited.
- Posters demonstrating Judo throws - minor but, I support it. We/I have more influence now and the Judo program is receiving a more appropriate level of respect so things like this should be pretty doable.
- More Grip fighting - Agreed
- T shirts
- Monthly Thursday night randori/Ne Waza - idea well received
- CPR course - Alma has this one.
I emphasized that I need bodies and want any and all ideas about increasing membership and class attendance.

I Have to check the other things so i don't forget the suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment