Thursday, August 19, 2010

Monday 8/15/2010

Got caught on a call and missed Kettlebells.
BJJ class - The class started small but people kept coming in until we were up to nearly 20. John did some sweeps in the class. He did a few sweeps where you break the balance of the uke similar to the flower sweep and then come up to the top position. He covered the one with both feet together and both knees inside the elbows of the uke. He had a good emphasis on keeping tight contact with the inside of the elbow and getting a good balance break. he then did the arm de la Riva position I like to use. He did it a little differently including the way he had people coming to the top. I prefer my way, but, I understand he is concerned about a an accidental wrist lock or bicep cutter.

There was a visiting black belt in town, Tom, who is a security head for touring concerts. Mid 30s , 180ish form the Rickson association.
I had Eric S. first. We played from his cross spider position. He threatened but I slipped the position and put pressure on the pass. We are both regaining our feel for the position. Sidenote is that he is shrinking farther and farther from my division. For awhile, he was in the ballpark, but he is down <190. I wish I could say the same.
I had the visiting BB Tom, next. It was a fun set. he was strong and played a tight game.  I pulled and he worked on the pass for a bit, then seemed to accept the sweep to get to the bottom. I came up and then it became more interesting. We went back and forth for awhile, I made it to a half guard but never much more progress than that.  I baited him to go for a triangle, and he attacked the arm. I was still able to work and pass when he attacked the arm. I made it to side control and then to north south when time expired. Good hard tightly played set. Hopefully he will be back in town again. The last set was Dave O. Pretty typical set. I eventually swept and made it to mount.  but didn't submit him.

Judo - We worked on Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi to the sleeve side. More of a drawing out/hiza guruma approach rather than the typical hip/power slam version. I liked the way the class handled it. We also talked about switching to a Bulldog to knock the uke down for a yuko and pinning them when the classic Sasae fails.

We lost Paula who has begun her college experience at Penn State. she has been a great addition to the club while she was with us. A good person and an excellent Judoka. I will be sorry to see her leave us, but, hopefully she will back and visit us when she is in town. She plans to practice with the Penn State Judo team.




For old time sake here and here and here are some of Paula's matches fighting for us over the years.

I covered the Ancona roll again. I think this is such a valuable technique for the club, I get frustrated when we don't use it more often and better than we do. We did a few sets of Ne Waza and called it a night.

One new guy joined us a BJJ guy who trained in Dubai and will be at Wharton for the next two years. He had a hard but good class and will hopefully stick it out with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment