Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Monday 8/2/2010

Kettlebells - It's amazing how much I dislike some of the joint mobility stuff but how hard in a good way some of the kettlebell work outs can be. Alma went through the warmups, of which i like (and do on my own) the kettlebell ones and hate the joint mobility ones. The work was a double bell work out and the first thing i have done except go to the beach or the pool in 10 days. I let my ego push me and took two 20kgs. Very tough workout, so tough i thought I may have hurt my back, but, must have just pushed it tot he edge as it feels good the next day.

Tired for BJJ -15 or so people, so a bit smaller than what we have had lately on Monday. For some reason most of the girls weren't in tonight which makes up the difference.
John is doing half guard passes. He did a head control pass but without holding the lapel and the tripod version of the underhook pass. I use both but prefer the head control with the lapel trap and the belly down version of the underhook, so it was interesting to see the details of the differences in his version.

I rolled with Dave Oh first. I wnet for the basic hook sweep but tried a variant where i kick his support leg out. He went over but scrambled back much quicker than i expected so i ended up in half guard on the bottom. nearly swept a few times but time ran out in that position.

I also rolled with mike B. he stood and I went De La Riva and trapped his near leg. i kept his posture broken and swept him directly to side control. He did a very good job avoiding the mount and knee in the belly eventually he turned belly down. I took the back without hooks, but he may have been to curled up to get points. I was working behind him when time expired.

There was another set that i don't recall.

Judo - Alma led the warm ups which went well. I did the outside Sume Gaeshi from the right on left. I emphasized keeping the weight on the outside of the knee to avoid getting the weight on your hips and squashed. We also did the grip break and the technique from right on right. Mostly went well, but they actually did better right on left.
They did three good sets of randori.

Between the difficulties some had with the new technique and the intensity of the randori, i wanted to slow the Ne Waza down a bit. For ne waza we worked on the anatomy of the back choke, correctly applying it. We then did the checkmate version, for lack of a better name as i have decided to call it
2 sets of Ne Waza then we were done.

No comments:

Post a Comment