Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sunday 8/14/2010

Good Judo class today respectably sized group in attendance with a good mix of ranks sizes etc. I would like to see some more rank in the class as many of the black belts have been conspicuously absent. We focused on the footwork for the Harai Goshi. I realized while watching some videos, that my shoulder issue has led to a footwork problem. I'm not stepping with my support leg on my entry. This is killing my entry and therefore, my technique. I need to get this back. There is no way to hide from it either. I now realize that this problem is what changed me from being always able to enter, even if the technique failed to not being able to enter effectively at all. The class did well with it.
We did 4 sets of randori. I continued with my left sided experiments with reasonable success. I am throwing some left sided ashi waza and threatening more. The Ouchi Gari and the Sasai Tsurikomi Ashi are working a bit. I bang with the Kouchi gari and the Osoto is on the horizon, but haven't hit them yet. The Yoko Tomoe Nage from this grip has been my best technique against good players and feels the cleanest. But, the real revelation is how easy the switch to right sided from this grip has been. It has consistently put me in a very good offensive throwing position. So I will continue playing with this as well as trying to relearn the footwork for the Harai Goshi, which is all I really want anyway.
We worked on some front sankaku practice with pretty good success. I am trying the tight turn approach rather than the open turn approach I have used in the past. I think it went a little better, but it will take some more repetitions to see the final result.
I began telling several of the guys not to let Mike T do his crawling forward guard split that some of them have allowed him to do in the past. He is such a character and shows up so I consider him a challenge. if i can get him through classes I can get nearly anyone through classes. But, I don't want to hear anymore about he has a better way to do Ne Waza and that I should be teaching his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment