Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sunday 9/29/2010

Smallish group of 6 plus me. It included Art "The Mad Russian" one of our alumni from the YMCA days who was in town visiting for the first time since he left the club (and the city) in 1994. We did the regular warmups. Art had a little trouble with the Oma Plata. You could see he hadn't seen it much if at all. The others were fine for him though.

I wasn't sure how Art would be with everyone, considering his nickname is "The Mad Russian" but he was fine. He actually had some good sets with Sarah as well as with Peter and Scott. The group did well with everything. I had planned to work in and do some randori, but the sets were even and fair so the instructor takes he hit and sits. Overall I was pleased with how everyone there did. Lori and Mike both look good in their new belts and their play is reflecting the increased challenge of living up to a colored belt. Both are considering competing and are playing seriously.

For Ne Waza we continued passing the guard. I worked on one of my favorites, the head control half guard pass. I used the lapel grip when I went around the head and emphasized patience and pressure to grind out the pass.

Good class though I am looking forward to the summer being over and all of the vacationers returning to fill out the ranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment