Friday, September 17, 2010

Thursday 9/16/2010

BJJ at the Weston - Big class, 9 people, just two white belts. The 2 on one series continued. These are good techniques that I use often. It will be good to see if they are implemented by the students. I decided to go out of the box a bit. I took Marty and Isaac, for the training sets. Not difficult training but a bit different than i usually get. Marty is dedicated to improving his open guard. I'm giving him a grip and letting him work a bit. If he makes a glaring mistake or waits too long, I pass. If he does it all right I accept the sweep. I passed a few and caught him, but he did a good butterfly sweep and ended on top in half guard. I went to the deep half guard sweep and revered him, came up, passed and caught him. But, the sweep was promising. Isaac was a lot better than the last time we rolled, but he really is too small for me. we exchanged a few positions. to have a better chance he needs to use his speed against me more than he does. If he ends up in a station to station game, he's toast.

No class tonight as Beth has a work commitment and I am on baby duty. This entry was typed the next day so i can say that she (my daughter) was spectacularly awful, a complete pain in the ass. If I was a single parent, I would be doomed.

2 comments:

  1. Took my first judo class tonight. Serious butt kicking. Got wind knocked out me. Even the break falls were causing shoulder pain. Don't know how anyone over age 30 can do judo.... Much respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I will say it gets better. Your body gets conditioned to it. There is a big difference in taking controlled break falls and someone throwing you. Hope you stick with it, Judo will serve you well, once you get past the breaking in period. Almost everyone in my club is over 30, if that helps.

    ReplyDelete