Friday, September 17, 2010

Monday 9/13/2010

Kettlebells first - Good overall workout
BJJ- Pretty large class. John covered some 2 on 1 sweep and armlock positions. I like the way he uses the croass grip to block the pass when uke makes the corner. Then if the Uke centers back, he looks for the sweep with the arm trapped across the body, which is one of my favorites. He also recapped the armlock with the hand trapped between the bicep and ribs of the tori, then grip and turn the elbow up, while applying pressure with the hips to finish the lock.

I wasn't feeling particularly well so I skipped the training.

For Judo, we had a pretty good sized group, 12-15 or so. I covered Uchi mata and there was some good improvement by some of the guys. I cut them loose to do 10 minutes of Tokui Waza then did randori. Allessandro was having a good set with Shannon, but after a score they kept trying to win a scramble form the ground . In his efforts to turn belly down Allesandro popped a rib, which is a painful and slow healing injury. We need to beat back the injury bug. Two significant injuries in two classes is unacceptable. Otherwise the randori was good.
For Ne Waza I covered the kimura attack from half guard and then how to escape it. I focused on the escape as this can be a very frustrating position if you don't know how to free your arm.
With an odd number, I took Greg for a set of Ne Waza. He is doing a good job working on the sweeps from his open guard. I stuffed the butterfly sweep, though, mostly because he waited too long and gave me too many chances to defend. He was able to power his way back to the top and we finished the set with him in top half guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment