Friday, February 19, 2010

Thursday 1/18//2010

BJJ Open mat
Me, Lex, Eric S., Peter, Katie and Max. We did a round robin training. Decent training. Katie played well, though she can still gat a little too excited. Max played pretty well and really shows great potential. peter was OK, and is a good student. If I ever offered a full program somewhere i would get him to do BJJ also. It would loosen up his body and he shows some decent aptitude. Lex is doing a good job working on the arm drag. He just needs time for his game to develop. Eric started with his cross spider. He nearly swept, but i managed to hold the top and spent the balance of time in his half guard.. Peter asked about escaping knee in the belly, and i explained the same side hand defense i use. they all seemed to get it and likeit.

Judo
Good class. only 4 black belts but good number of Kyus (again). Had a brown belt in for two weeks, "Joe". Big guy (6'3" 300lbs.) trained for a year n japan and will be going back. They seem to promote faster than we do as he has potential but needs more seasoning and time before i would put him up for a Dan rank.He mentioned having trouble withthe stiff arm in Osoto Gari. I covered the three feet on the line Osoto and turning inside of the stiff arm, then combo'ed the technicque to a Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi, then to De Ashi Harai. I expected them to struggle with the foot sweep, but they did well enough that I let them continue to an Ashi Waza drill where you must attack on each step or you switch uke/tori. went pretty well. I might revisit this drill on Monday.

Good randori sessions. high lights included Eric hit a beautiful harai on the big guy Joe. Arianna his a excellent Kouchi makikomi on Nick. Z hit a beautifu Harai. All in all very spirited randori and was well played.

Ne Waza - I did the Yamashita turn and then did Ne Waza sets. I rolled with Scott who is improving and fighting hard. Still needs to work on his technicque and he is a little too willing to turn to his belly for my taste, but that works in Judo for awhile. Has Migel next, very athletic and is a little too dependent on that worked him into a choke and had to work it under his chin. it took some time but I got it there. Pinned him a few times and he tapped to it a little faster than I'd like, but the maximum effort ne waza guys tend to give up if they can't get away from a position early enough. Took the big guy Joe next. He is pretty massive and I am always concerned about having a huge guy fall on me, but I pulled anyway. Went rubber guuard first and made it to the Oma Plata and tapped him swept a few times and held him then caught the choke when i let him turn. He tried to choke me from inside my guard, i gave him a few chances to give that up but, when he didn't i choked him back and he tapped. He has good potntial but is over ranked, by my standards and his ground training is quite minimal. wish we had him long term as we could do a lot for and with him.

Kettle Bell challenge time - I have gone strict Warrior Diet/Atkins Diet the last few days to jump start the weight loss. I felt good the first two days. not as good today and i ran out of steam in the Kbells. I did 31 rightsided and then 23 left sided before I hit the wall hard and had to stop. first time I didn't do more than the previous week. On the plus side I am down 8 pounds in the last three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment