Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thursday 5/20/2010

Westin day class - Same as Tuesday class, technical drills and positional training. I came in cold and got an OK, sweat with sets with Blue John and Craig. Still no stand up.

BJJ Open mat was Lex, Peter and myself. We worked on chokes with peter and some passing drills with Lex.
In Judo we did some work on the Sasai Tsurkomi Ashi like Muneta threw on the Youtube clip. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCF3CvSzCnE) this is one of my all time favorite throws to watch and I would love to work on it. Hitting it in competition would be the kind of thing you could walk away from and then retire. I was working in on the pad with Lex and Greg throwing it and taking it. Then we had a visitor. I ended up spending the rest of the stand up time talking to him. If he hadn't had such an interesting story I would have been annoyed with losing the time I was actually practicing for a change. The Sasai practice for everyone went well though everyone had difficulty with the change in the angle from an outside perpendicular entry as we normally use to more of a forward up the gut entry Muneta used. This actually may be a project i work on alone.

Back to the visitor. He was a 68 year old man (Bruce) who practiced with Senseii Ishikawa at the Philadelphia Judo club in 1964 (that is not a typo). He moved and never returned to judo. He was in incredible shape for someone his age and still had his gi and brown belt from 1964. He dressed out and I had him do a little randori. He was so excited it was a great experience to see the joy he was taking in being on the mat and being thrown. He was just visiting but, I am convinced that if he was in town he would rejoin the club and get his Black Belt. It's incredible how much he still remembered after a 46 year break in terms of falling and the basics of some throws. he was a little crazy as you would expect form anyone willing to do randori after a 46 year hiatus, but was a pleasure to have with us.

In Ne Waza I talked about the elbow escape and bringing the leg over to avoid the pass. I think this is crucial and use it all of the time. It only went so so. I will have to see if anyone can actually use this.

No comments:

Post a Comment