Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Friday 5/21/2010

Open mat at the Weston - Good group, this is becoming one of my favorite classes during the week... no instruction just good hard training. 1 black, 2 brown, 1 purple, 1 blue, 1 white in the class.
I did 5 sets, 6 minutes each, one with each person. The black belt set was good. Steve B is a very technical fighter and shows some things I haven't seen before or recently. I pulled but he wanted the bottom so he pulled from my guard which is points but, not really important as I think high rank should get to choose top or bottom to begin, so i just give him the credit for selecting the bottom. I think he would be better served retaining the top and attacking my weaker position. We went back and forth from half to open guard as I worked to pass. I was able to lock him tight in a half guard that i immobilized and managed to pass. I worked to knee in the belly and then mount. Came close to a mounted choke but he escaped back to half guard. I was working the pass as time expired. The set with John was good and I am learning to watch for something. I pulled and went for a sweep which led to a scramble, and I ended on top. We reset after we were near to out of bounds. I pulled and he went one leg in on the standing pass. he spun across the outside leg and went for the knee lock and caught it. This is the second time he has caught me this way... I am going to go ahead and call it enemy action at two rather than waiting for the third time. I am going to start watching for this in particular and defend it hard. When we started up again, I pulled and went underneath the hips reversed him the bottom. I worked and passed and made it to side control and caught an Ude garame. The other three sets were pretty standard. Good workout and good sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment