Thursday, May 13, 2010

Monday 5/9/2010

Taught the BJJ class tonight while John was away. decent sized group in the class including a new blue belt and a new white belt girl as well as a new white belt guy who has some solid wrestling experience. The recovery continues in the membership. The ranks are slowly rebuilding. The competition for BJJ people in Philadelphia is so fierce due to the extremely high density of BJJ programs. It's been interesting to see new people come to the club. I do notice that we are keeping a high percentage of the people who come through the doors and do some classes. This a good sign. It's hard enough to get people on the mat, when you do you hate to see them go away. It's gratifying to get positive feedback on the classes and see so many people sticking with it.

I covered the drop Kata Guruma which is no longer legal in Judo but still a very effective technique. Mike B was lights out with it and did very well. Jason also looked good doing it. some of the others had some trouble with the correct angle to finish the technique as they were going a little too much over their head instead of across their shoulders but I think by the end, everyone was looking pretty good.

From there I had them work on taking the mount and then working for the choke. We went for the choke like I do with a thumb in first grip and a low second grip. After everyone did that, I worked on the next defense when Uke blocks the tori's elbow from descending which blocks the choke. I showed popping out to knee in the belly and using the high knee to scrape off the grip of the uke and then applying the choke. We did 3 sets of training. I trained with the new white belt girl who has great spirit but is pretty tiny. I wanted to see how she rolled before I put her with too many of the guys in class. She did fine and fights hard so will be OK, with good partners.

Judo

Smaller group than we have recently had, 12-15 people. James did his Sankyu promotion to begin class. He did very well (as did Scott as Tori) His gi ripped and he had tape stuck to his foot but, he stayed focused and did a good job. I gave a strong discussion of the benefits of doing Kata. I would like to get Lori into kata and see some of the guys do it and compete. It would be good for Alma to have more students and it would be good for all of them to improve their Judo. I would be happy to have some national kata competitors. Arianna did very well and is really improving right now. to bad it's about to be her summer away as this is a good time for her to get better. I had Alma cover the second set of the nage No Kata for Standup for everyone.

In Ne Waza I did how to reverse headhunters who attack the Sode Jimi from inside the guard. I warned them that people like Roman who attack from the position can be dangerous if you don't defend correctly. I rolled with Scott and had a good set with him, changing positions and moving through things. This was important considering how I had to smash him the last time we worked. Good class but I would like to get more consistent attendance. We peaked last year going into Am-Can but I don't think we will do that this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment