Thursday, May 20, 2010

Monday 5/17/2010

BJJ - I taught the class as John was running the team training in Delaware. The classes are starting to consistently rebuild by the end of the class there were 14 people in it. the new people are staying steady an the regulars are consistent. 2 new women were in there which is always a good sign. Both did well and seem like they have a chance to stick.

I covered the half guard sweep rotating to the other side and then kipping up between the knee and hip while controlling the foot. Half had done the sweep half hadn't. first we had to fix the way everyone defended. Until uke defends properly tori, can't use the technique. Once we got that corrected, the rest went well. I had the ones who had done it do a positional drill from the position on their backs with the leg controlled. I saw some good sweeps and people reacted well to uke losing their balance and just came up. The ones who hadn't done it continued repeating. By the end everyone had done well.

We did 4 7 minute sets. I had Shannon first. He pulled, I managed to pass and he bumped. I ended up in the closed guard. He tried to split with both hands next to one another and I broke him down. we moved around but ended the set in this position. I mentioned his hand position and he seemed receptive. I also did a Dave O set. I swept him, and passed he wrapped the gi around me and held me in side control. a tactic I have never understood.

Judo We did 2 switches, the classic Harai Goshi to Tani Otoshi and then we did Osoto Gari to Harai Goshi. I emphasized not over committing to the Harai when you attack with the switch. I believe in just showing the beginning of the movement and looking for the hip cut from uke to set up the technique. I had to work to get the foot down for toris, but other than that it went well. The Osoto Gari switch to Harai was tougher, as I expected. The idea of attacking the Osoto then making one hop to change direction to Harai when Uke pushed back is a little tougher but some of them did particularly well. I saw some things that registered for me and helped some of the ones who were struggling. In terms of the angle of the attack, I emphasized hopping to where uke's hips were pointing after he cut his hip and defended, as opposed to where it was before he cut the hip. The other thing was to make sure the knee is bent after the hop to allow for power driving into the Harai. It is almost more of a bounce than a straight hop to a locked/stiff leg. We did several sets of randori.

In Ne waza we worked on the basic Guard split, posture, hand position and hip position. We did 3 sets of Ne Waza and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment