Friday, August 21, 2009

August 20, 2009

Thursday BJJ open mat. - Rolled two sets with a couple of blue belts, Steve and Tom. Both are among the better blue belts. Decent sets without anything of real note. Worked some X-guard sweeps a bit. did 75 Harai fits with Lee. its killing my shoulder trying to get my hip across for it. I can feel why I am failing to throw the Harai. The pain in my shoulder is keeping me from getting my hips across to the correct position to throw. I will have to do a lot more fits to see if I can get it to loosen up. giving some thought to trying a little Uch mata. It wouldn't require quite as deep an entry with my hips. Be tough to change primary techniques at this point but, I can't throw the Harai effectively right now, so the question becomes try to force the shoulder to cooperate or learn a new primary technique. Neither is an attractive option.

Judo Class - 8 people including a new white belt, who does kettlebells. Tattos like a bike messenger but turns out to be a dea agent. Jim crandley was in also, so law enforcement was well represented. Covered standing Seoi Nage. Lee took the new white belt and he continues to be invaluable. Being both willing and able to give instruction. He is well on his way to being the next assitant coach. 10 minutes of Tokui Waza. then randori. The sets were fine. I took Paula as there were limted good match ups in the room for her. I really need some smaller technical players and women as the club is very top heavy with heavier brawlers right now. The next set was with Eric Silverman. He is doing well and hit me with a good Tani Otoshi when I tried to back out of a failed Harai. Good way to make remember to never back out of a throw though its hard right now as the Haria is both painful to try and likely to fail. Threw a good Ouchi Gari which may have to become my primary technique for awhile.

Matwork the white belt left so I had a reasonably experienced group so i threw some more complex stuff at them. We attacked the person wh is trying to stand up and pick us up for a technical break from the guard. First I opened up and did the two foot in the hip flip over the head. They did fine. Next we did closing the guard and pinching the knees together, lifting up the uke with your guard and sweeping him to the side. they did Ok with that. Then we slid underneath to an X-Guard. Here we got into trouble. Eric was fine and helped Paula, so she was fine. Lee was Ok, Chris S, James and Jim all struggled. I did dropping the low hook and sweeping the foot, taking them backwards first, this was Ok, though some of them can't seem to grasp the need to open the knees wise. We then tried to do the Get Up sweep, which is normally the very forst one. Lots of trouble with this. Biggest problem was getting them to sit up on to their elbow. Next trouble coming out from beneath the Uke. By the end they began to get it but it took so long we didn't do Ne Waza. I was a little disappointed that they had so much trouble.

Next day the good news was i hit 243 on my home scale, Maxercise usually weighs 2-3 lbs. lighter than mine. The bad news is that my shoulder hurts so much I have been taking painkillers all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment