Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August 11, 2009

Returning to this blog after several years. In the past 3 years. I have had multiple surgeries Knee which went well and solved the aforementioned problems and shoulder to address a chronic dislocation problem which hasn't gone nearly as well. I have gotten married (again) , had a daughter which takes up an inordinate amount of time and working a different job. Regis has moved to San Diego and Ronnie has moved to Hawaii. John has taken over Maxercise. Urso has left and returned. Zak has become almost unstoppable, Brian has become very good, and Tim has stopped and recently restarted training. I have assumed the duties of head instructor of the Judo club with Alma as my assistant instructor. Will is the head instructor of the Drexel club so is only with us sporadically. Alma has been runing a kata class on Tuesday that has been well received and given our club something that very few clubs hve, a class devoted to kata and an instructor who is good at it and wants to teach it.

I try to make class 5 times/week including 3 BJJ classes (one I instruct at S. Philly Karate) and one open mat and 3 Judo classes all instructed by me. I might try to add a BJj class during the week att he Weston depending on how the classes are.

I haven't the time to go into detail of the classes anymore, but, I want to chronicle the techniques I see and what I teach In Judo and BJJ as well as any other things that strike me.

BJJ class last night was a guard pull. drop for a yoko tomoe nage from a right sided grip with the left foot to the hip to prevent uke from grabbing the leg as you drop. Then do a scoot under to the x guard. do it by switching from the sleeve grip to the grip behind the foot closest to the hand, far leg (right) hooks behind ukes left knee, lift the hips, point the left knee down and aggressively scoot under the uke to secure the x guard. first tech was to drop both hands to Ukes heels and sweep him straight backwards, come up holding both his heels to keep him from coming up too. this is important. next did the get up sweep - push uke away with both legs, take out the TOP leg and come up in base. if uke won't turn go for a calf crush in brown belt divisions, ust pressure it in lower divisions to get him to accept the sweep. Urso covered the x guard sweep where you catch the near hand and pass the leg over your head, reach up and grab the belt and sweep him back or if he runs, come up with his arm between his legs and finish. Interesting point of emphasis was when getting the x guard from the entry, you have the leg trapped in your arm pit holding down with your elbow, other hand turns the knee in and you go under the leg to achieve the x guard. now Urso cups the knee can and puts a lot of pressure on it to control Ukes efforts to defend. Urso also showed how Zak will jump into the x guard from a position where he is being swept with the get up sweep.

trained with Tom, Mike Light and David Oh. Mostly bad matchup in the room for me. few good training opportunities anymore.

Judo had 3 novices who are desperately needed right now. Had 12 total counting Alma, Will and myself. Taught the de ashi harai when uke steps behind himself (the Will mistake). Had everyone do Ashi Waza of choice for awhile then forward Tokui Waza. 3-5 minute randori sets. Need to get my stand up back, have to push myself to be willing to fail when I attack. Used the Koga armpit grip to screw up will in his grip fighting.

Covered the Bull pass and then did elbow escaping from side control.

On a side note John has begun a BJJ class at the Weston health club (1835 Market St.) across from where I work. I might try to get there and train every so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment