Friday, August 14, 2009

August 13, 2009

Arrived at open mat for BJJ. 2 sets of training 10 min with Zak - started off of our feet. he hit a nice single. I normally defend them well, but it was very well done. He didn't catch me, but I was on the run for the whole set. I really can't stop the Uma Plata, both because it is so good and because it makes my surgically repaired shoulder nervous. Final score was about 12-2. 15 mnutes with Eric Silverman who is one of the better trainingpartners i have right now. Last week he won the set 3-2, but, if I can get to the top early I can put up points and give him a hard time. the final was around 16-2 but the set was much closer, i barely avoided an arm lock and several scores, before we called it.

Urso showed me an interesting half guard pass. You go for the facing the waste pass, uke defends by reaching under to block, you then go around his arm with you high hand so your forearm is just beneath the point of the elbow and secure the grip on your own lapel. if uke doesn't grip to protect his arm you go for a strainght arm lock. if he does you work the pass. the key element is to stay low on the hips of uke. if you pass, keep the arm trapped and go north south, this will usually break los his grip and you can attack the straight arm lock.

10 people in judo including 3 of the new white belts. I taught the 3 feet on a line Osoto Gari, and the Sasai Tsurikomi Ashi. Then Randori my set with lee was frustrating. my stand up is not coming back. I can't get my hips through the zone on the harai Goshi as my shoulder problem jams me up on the turn. My grips are competant, but no better. I MUST force myself to start working into the uchikomi. I have resigned myself that my techniques will not come back on their own and to fight quality heavy weights, I am going to have to stop coasting and wishing and start working.

Ne waza I continued to teach escape and pins. Taught the Kesa Gatame and the Kazure Kesa Gatame and explaing the escapes and why I prefer the Kazure version. Good to see the white belts but need to get the green belts back in consistently.

No comments:

Post a Comment