Thursday, October 07, 2010

Thursday 10/7/2010 time to admit defeat and punt some entries

there has been so much going on I have fallen behind on this. It's fourth and long so i will punt and briefly hit a few points of note from the past two weeks or so and then lick up going forward, but, October is going to be swamped for reason I will detail later. I may miss a spot here or there.

I made most if not all of my normal classes but these are a few high lights for my personal recollection


9/30 - Good set with Mike B. I swept but he was able to sweep back when he switched from a right sided butterfly sweep to a left sided version suddenly. I bailed from the pass and he managed to get to my back. I was in toruble but avoided the sub but allowed the points before getting him back to the bottom. I nearly passed back but he recovered guard and time expired. Good training set.

10/1 rolled open mat at the Weston - Hit one technique I want to remember. I went oma Plata on Steve B and swept. i was facing toward his hips with his arm still tightly entangled in the Oma Plata. I was above the elbow near the shoulder with the triangled legs. I attacked the arm to straighten. I considered attacking the wrist also. He brought his legs up to use them to defend. He recently caught a twisting foot lock/toe hold on me and I now remembered to go for it against him. he squirmed his foot away, but this set up the arm to be vulnerable and when he defended again with his feet, I caught the toe hold.  

10/2 was the Philadelphia Jiu Jitsu cup running in conjunction with liberty Bell Judo hosted Judo event, the Philadelphia Judo Cup. It went pretty well. We got through everyone pretty quickly. Would have been faster if we had been less committed to getting everyone as many matches as possible. The slow down cam when we had to wait for a competitor fighting another division to be available. Good learning experience. Decent attendance, mostly from the immediate region. < 100 BJJ competitors, some kids, no women, some no-gi. 6-7 purple belts and 2 Brown belts. If I had been training more lately or if I had brought my kit, I may have competed as they were a fair size for me.

10/4 John taught a duck under then clinch from the back. I have my doubts about ducking the high grip by anyone who is good at using it, but I do like a back trip he showed. He was doing essentially a tani otoshi and slinging the uke down. If Uke resisted forward he did a kosoto gake movement to the from of the ankle and took the uke down with it. Obviously no score in Judo but has self defense and BJJ applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment