Friday, October 29, 2010

Monday 10/25/2010

BJJ - John covered some work from the mounted position. It was pretty basic stuff. I pitched in and tweaked a few things for people, when i saw a correctable error. I was feelling a little beat from the long weekend of work and wanted to save my energy for the Judo class, so i held off the training.

Judo - this was to be primarily a randori/ne waza class. we did 15 minutes or so on Uchi Mata, then proceeded to randori. we had a 200lbish green belt who normally trains with our old friend Senseii Edwin Takemori in the Maryland area at the Naval Academy club. He was good to have in the club. He plays rough but not dangerous. You can tell he is used to being the biggest guy as he uses a lot of strength and tackling stuff, but he had a very good attitude and was very receptive to my suggestions. woudl be a pleasure to have him in againGood group I did 4 or 5 sets myself which was good work for me. Few notes from my randori. Best thing was I hit a left sided Uchi mata that was very clean with good lift and rotation. It was against Yoni, who is just 15 and weighs just 135 lbs, so my excitement is tempered. But, he is a very solid Tachi Waza player and in all honesty there was much more skill involved than I expected to bring to a technique I still have never practiced. I did a great deal of switching from left to right depending on what my opponent was doing. this is totally contrary to my old philosophy of "one grip - one technique - no exceptions" I would like to consider this an evolution of my skills but it's actually an indictment of my ability to perform my one technique. so i am reduced to out thinking and skillfully defeating my opponent. This sounds like a good thing but I consider it a failure of my primary technique. In the long run it will make me a better player and instructor as i become more competitively experienced with more techniques, but it still pisses me off. The left side switching actually helped me quite a bit with greg who was really all over me in the beginning of the set. When i switched to left, it changed the dynamic a bit and improved my defense substantially. I hit a good counter once. He was going to smash me good with an Ouchi Gari toward the end of the set, but i used the wall to defend it, which has become a very bad club habit that I need to break. The right Yoko tomoe Nage from the left sided grip has been very effective and is something that I will concentrate on improving. I also want to focus some more attention to the left Uchi mata. It seems a good idea to practice something that I intend to use.

We did a guard pass for Ne Waza. It was the one where I pin the uke's heels to his butt in the butterfly guard, control one side and then go vertical in a headstand and come down in the side control position. They were a bit hesitant to go with the reckless abandon this technique takes at first, but warmed up to it and did well. Eric did the trap and roll arm lock on Josh and later covered how to do it on purpose at the end of class. I might try working on this and making it a primary rather than secondary attack for the club particularly in BJJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment