Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Saturday 4/8/6

skipped class unitl today to prepare for Pan-Ams in BJJ. I am fighting the +214 division in senior 1 (35-40). We have a good contingent of around 10-12 competitors in LA. The tournament was up and down. i technically won my division but it wasn't contested. I fought the open division and fought a small (145) guy in the first round, named Clint Crabtree. He was a wrestler and despite the size diffeerence, wouldn't pull guard as I expected. I snaped him down and forced him to pull. I wnet to the Bull pass and drove my shoulder in his belly as I passed. He tapped and complained of a rib injury. The referee allowed him to start the match again even though he tapped. he squirled back to his feet and Ijust held him off for the rest of the match as he tried to take me down. i waited adn threw him with Osoto Gari in the last few seconds to win 5-0.

The next match was against a Brazilian 190 pounder. he also wouldn't pull, and i was leary of throwing foreward and missing. he broke my balance with a decent Sasai Tsurikomi Ashi, but didn't throw or get vantage. I waited until the last few seconds to try to throw. He stayed behind me and I missed the throw. The idiot ref actually gave him 2 for it. Regis said he should have had a vantage. I don't really understand that, but, it tells me that I have to reevaluate how and what I throw in BJJ. I think that I am going to work on Sasai and sumi gaeshi. i watched him fight and i really think that my matwork is better but I am having trouble with the transition, if i fail to throw. I don't want to leave him behind me, so i have to make some decisions about what I throw. I also need to get over the fear of the throw and just attack and if I miss, continue with matwork. I am trying to hard to make it a Judo match and just throw in the last few seconds to win. i need to attack early and then just play the rest of the game. One thing that I notcied was that Senior 1 brown belts do not pull. Sean Basfield was the only guy who pulled at all, and he only did it occaissionally.

Ronniw ent 1-1 in his divisiona nd took bronze. he wrecked a guy, submitting him from behind and then lost a winnable match when he mistook the score and thought that he was winning. He was manhandled in the Open division.

John looked good with and exellent sweep to win his first weight division match. then lost in the finals to take silver. He fough the open of my division and got 2 byes to the semis. He threw Bansfield but was choked across his face. he took bronze in that division.

The rest of the team did OK. particularly Tim S., who took a bronze in his purple belt Pan Ams. in a 30 plus man division going 4-1 with 3 submissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment