Thursday, September 17, 2009

September 15, 2009

Tuesday day class at the Westin. - Johntaught the class. He covered some closed guard attacks when Uke stands to split. He did the initial one where uke stands without a grip on the sleeve and you push with the turned in knees and pull the heels for the sweep. He did the cross grip pulling the heel with the underhook while arching over the hooked leg. He did the roll to the Oma Plata. and, he did the Saulo underhook to the turtle outside the leg and pressure him down. forgot how much I liked these and that i do them well as I play open guard or against people kneeling almost exclusively now.

Trained with Dan who should be promoted past yellow belt. He playes hard and is (very) hard to sweep. He still can't come close to passing but he is doing well and has a good idea what he is trying to do. Mauled Chris Delpi next. He is one of those guys who is particularly bad match up for me. He is fun to train with, though. I hit the Saulo turtle sweep among others and afterwards he laughed because he said he was just telling the guy he was practicing with that he thought it was a very low percentage sweep.

2 notes - Told John that I would have to bail on the S. Philly classes, if I didn't get what every one else gets to teach. its not much money but the princinple of it has begun to bother me more than I am comfortable with accepting. He texted later that he would pay me for it if it continued but that the program might change at the end of the month. He also mentioned paying me for teaching the Judo classes which would make me feel a lot better about lot of things.

also another old school brown belt Gouldash Mike Palinquas came and joined Judo. I harassed him a few times on facebook. Good to see him in class. IN three days we got back Eric Johnson (Ikkyu/BJJ brown belt) Nick Terry (Nikyu/BJJ blue belt) and Mike Palinquas (Sankyu/BJJ purple belt) thats a good run. Gene has told me he is coming back which would be outstanding and I will see Bean this weekend at his wedding. I will bug him about at least coming back to sunday. This would defintiely solve my concerns about some weakness in the Brown belt ranks and would add BJJ rank of 2 blues a purple a brown and a black, not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment