Thursday, September 17, 2009

September 12, 2009

Saturday BJJ class - Urso taught the class. some useful guard passing work was done. The position which causes me so much trouble the open half guard with the knee up was addressed. He took the take them to the other side approach to the next level. He grabs the outside of the bottom knee and brings them all the way to the other side, and then goes hips down across their knees compressing the half guard, then kicking the leg back and passing. I like it if you can get them to the other side. His initial position is with one knee up and in the middle. Uke does a good job of keeping the high knee inside tori's elbow to prevent advancing to the knee cut pass. this was followed up by practicing the knee cut pass. If Uke resists being pulled across to the other side in the first pass, tori slips the elbow inside the high knee of the ukeand advances to the traditional knee cut. I should invest some time in this as it may address the position that gives me such trouble. Problem is I only need it for the best guys and they are much better at it than I am. Might need to force the position against some of the blue and purple belts to pratice it.

4 sets of training. Randy, Eric, Jack and Dave Oh. Good sets. worked hard but wasn't fatigued which is good. Jack continues to impress me He attacked my arm aggressively by pushing up under the lebow and using that to attack the oma plata. I resisted the oma plata but he managed to break my posture and caught me. Thinking back, I believe when he broke my arm loose and controoled it, it was from the bull pass position. I woudl like to see exactly what he did as I liked it quite a bit. restarted and attacked the pass more aggressively. got to half guard and pressued him. He was fatigued and nearly passed several time but, he regained the half before I could settle. He couldn't escape, but time expired before I completed the pass. The other three sets were typical of the the normal sets with each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment